The purpose of carpet protectors like Teflon and Scotchgard is just what the name implies – these are chemical coatings that are designed to protect carpeting and upholstered fabrics against soil, stains, wicking, and static electricity. They are invisible to the eye and do not change the surface’s feel to which they are applied.
What is a carpet and upholstery protector?
The textbook definition of a carpet and upholstery protector is … “a fluorochemical emulsion applied to carpet and upholstery to affect the surface properties so that they are protected from a variety of spills and soil while allowing them to remain cleaner, and last longer.” In layman’s terms, this means carpet and upholstery protectors are professionally applied solutions that help your textiles maintain their good looks longer while extending their life.
Fluorochemical-based protectors are state of the art for maximum carpet and upholstery protection. Fluorochemical protectors can provide excellent initial and durable soil resistance, along with outstanding oil and water repellency. Additional acid dye blockers can be formulated into some fluorochemical protectors to provide stain resistance for nylon carpets and upholstery. Fluoropolymer protectors, such as the ones we use made by Scotchgard™, change the surface energy of protected surfaces, and provide soil resistance as their primary function. Additionally, they help fibers resist both water-based and oil-based spots and spills.
Today, almost all carpets are protected at the mill during the manufacturing process. However, it is vital to maintain this protection with each cleaning. Factory protectors wear down over time, and fibers become susceptible to staining unless a quality protector is reapplied.
Think of professionally applied protector like waxing your new car to keep it looking as good as the day you bought it. Soil, stains, traffic, and even aggressive spot cleaning are all enemies to your carpet and upholstery. Scotchgard helps supplement the mill-applied protection to keep carpets and upholstery looking as good as they possibly can.
Advantages of Applying Carpet and Fabric Protector:
- Carpeting or upholstery that has been treated with a quality protector will soil more slowly.
- Carpets and upholstery will stay cleaner longer.
- A carpet or upholstered surface that has been treated with a protector is easier to clean and maintain with subsequent cleanings.
- Treating carpeting and upholstery with a protector provides a real-time and money saver for the consumer.
- A quality fabric and upholstery protector will extend the life of protected surfaces.
- A protector can prevent both water-based and oil-based stains from penetrating protected surfaces, making stains less permanent and more easily removed.
- Protectors work by creating a barrier against stains, spills, and dirt.
- Protectors protect a carpet or upholstered surface appearance and preserve the color.
- Traffic area soil is very abrasive and cuts carpet yarns like a knife. This damaging soil can easily bond to an unprotected carpet and upholstery. By having a quality protector applied, you will increase the life of your textiles dramatically. When you vacuum your protected surfaces, the soils will release from the surface much more effectively.
Tru-Clean Surface Care applies the professional-grade protector Scotchgard and guarantees the application with a one-year guarantee. Once applied, should the protected surface experience a spill that will not come out with a white paper towel and the spotter we provide each client, our technician will come to your home, FREE OF CHARGE, and perform the spot removal at no charge.
Tru-Clean Surface Care is a Certified Partner with the prestigious Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and the International Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI). In addition, we are A+ Rated with the Better Business Bureau and a seven-year-in-a-row-winner of the coveted Angie’s List Super Service Award.
For more information about our thoroughly exhaustive carpet, upholstery, or fiber protector services, please visit us online at www.TruCleanSurfaceCare.com or call us anytime at 239-541-4888 – Cape Coral and Lee County, 239-206-1935 – Bonita Springs, Naples and Marco Island or 941-621-2198 – Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte, Florida.